Saturday, March 16, 2013

...time for a interview...

TOMMI HOLAPPA 
THE GODFATHER OF FUZZY LICKS
(GUITAR-DOZER,GREENLEAF)

Tommi Holappa live at Desert Fest Berlin (Greenleaf Show)

A nice interview with
Tommi Holappa of
Dozer,Greenleaf...
I know Dozer since the first album, so I’ve followed the transformation of your sound. I think "In the Tail of a Comet" is the album with the biggest cojones. What do you think about the style changes until today?
- If you listen our first album "In The Tail of a Comet" and compare it to our last album "Beyond Colossal" it's kind of like listening to two different bands.
It's all good stuff but I think it was a natural progression for us. In the first years of Dozer we were really influenced by bands like Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu etc etc so of course thats how we wanted to sound, but with time we kind of found the true identety of Dozer. I think you really can hear how we evolved with each album that we released, our song writing, playing our instruments etc etc got better. So what era do I like the best? Well, I think the early albums have charm and I do like most of the songs but I think the last one is my personal favorite. I'm really happy with how it sounds and the songs writing+Fredriks vocals are killer! But like I said I like all the albums...I’m proud of what we have done.

What was the reason for the long timeout of Dozer? 
-The biggest reason was that Fredrik started studying but then also both Johan and Fredrik became parents.

Dozer 2013
Dozer released three genius albums (Madre Dios,Beyond Colossal, Call it Conspiracy…). Will another follow soon? If yes, what can you tell us about it?
- I don't know if we ever will make another new album but there will be some stuff released in the near future. First of all we have a split 7" vinyl with a swedish band called Nymf coming out at the end of april. This vinyl will have an unreleased song called The Impostor on it. Then after that we will do a digital release with 5-6-7 songs(don't know how many at the moment). All these songs are from the “Through the eyes of heathens”- era of Dozer.

Dozer is not the only band you play in. Do you have other side-projects to Greenleaf, where you also play the guitar? 
-Greenleaf takes up most of my time at the moment. We have just changed singer and are writing new material that we hope to record before the summer.
But I also have a band with Daniel Lidén (previous Dozer drummer) called Dahli. We started this band when Dozer went on a break but now we haven't done anything in a couple of years. But when we both have time we will take it up again! We have some really cool songs written!


What inspires you while songwriting? What would you say is the hardest part about it? How do you and the band write songs?
- Well, usually I write riffs at home and then bring it to rehearsal where we jam together and put all the bits and pieces together and hopefully it turns into a good song!
This is the way we do it with both Dozer and Greenleaf. I don't excatly know where the inspiration comes from but I know it's kind of like an addiction for me to write songs, You know when you have just put the finishing touches to a song(in the studio or in the rehearsal room) and it feels like the song kicks ass and you get a huge stupid grin on your face...That's the best feeling in the world! And I'm addicted to that feeling!

...CHECK OUT THE DESERT FEST 2012 HERE...

Which song of yours do you like playing live the most?
- This is a hard question! It's different songs for every gig. But I know I'm really tired of playing the song Rising from Call it Conspiracy! I think we have played that song live
on every gig we have done since 2002! It's a good song but it is really boring to play but a lot of people want to hear it so we play it. I don't mind playing because most of the time people go crazy when we play it!


For how long do you play the guitar and what kind of equipment do you use? What sound makes you horny?
- I have played for about 22 years now. Hmmmm...this makes me feel old! Hahaha!
I use Gibson guitars, most of the time I use my two Firebirds but I also have an SG and a Flying V. The Firebird through my Soldano SLO 100 amp and a few different fuzz, delay and wha-wha pedals is what makes me horny! 

What do you think about the music-scene “STONER ROCK”? Are you a true Stonerhead? 
- Depends on what you mean with true Stonerhead! Hahaha! I don't smoke dope but I do listen to the music! For me it's hard to say what bands are Stoner rock in these days...it's everything from 70's rock inspired bands to really heavy doom bands. In the end it's all 
just about heavier music with good riffs and a lot of Groove! And there are a lot of good bands out there!


Which type of music or band do you think is so bad that it should be prohibited?
- I don't think any kind of music or any band should be prohibited. As long as I'm not forced to listen to stuff I don't like I'm happy! The world needs all the shitty bands so all the good bands sound even better! Hahaha! Just think about it...You are at work all day and listen to the radio where they play mostly shit music and when you come home you put on for example the latest Graveyard album...I guarantee you that you will enjoy it even more! Hahaha!

What’s your favorite albums in 2012/13?
Here's a few albums that I enjoyed: 
Graveyard - Lights out
High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
Soundgarden - King Animal
Kongh- Sole Creation
Astra - The Weirding
Mount Carmel - Real Women

What moment or concert do you think was the highlight of your rock career until now? 
I have had many good moments so It's hard to just choose just one concert or something like that. All the tours we have done with Dozer and Greenleaf have been fun!
Some of the highlights have been getting to tour with some awesome bands (Clutch,Mastodon,Lowrider,Brain Police etc etc) and get to see a lot of countries and cites (most of europe at least 15-20 times, U.S.A, Australia). 
I could make this list even longer if I wanted to but let's just say that most of it has been a blast! And it's not over yet! With a few Dozer shows coming up in april(Desertfest) and then I will play as much as possible with Greenleaf!

...Desert Fest Berlin 2012...Bengt Bäcke and Tommi from Greenleaf
Which advice can you give all the young and unknown guitarists out there?
-Stay in School! Hahaha! Just kidding! All I can say is never give up and just keep playing!

Big thanks to Tommi!!!

Fuzz on...yours Stonerhead

No comments:

Post a Comment